A letter from a Civil War soldier to his beloved wife:
Camp near Lanjer, Ark.
May 10th 1863.
My Dear Amanda,
It has been a long time since I had an opportunity of writing to you, and I gladly avail myself of the present opportunity. I am not certain that I will have a chance of sending this but I will write a few lines any how and try and get it off to let you know that I am among the living.
We have been on a raid into Ms. but I have not time to give you the particulars of our trip. I will write in a few days if I can get a chance to send it and write you a long one. I just came off of picket and found the boys all writing to send by a man that has been discharged who is going to start home this morning. I was quite sick three or four days while in Mo. but have entirely recovered. We captured a good many prisoners while in Mo. and killed a good many. We went up as high as Jackson 8 or 10 miles above Cape Girardeau. We fought them nearly all day at the Cape on Sunday two weeks ago today. The yanks boasted that we would never get back to Ark but they were badly mistaken, for we are back again and have sustained but very light loss, we never lost a man out of our company and only one or two out of the regt. I wish I had time to give you a full description of our trip. It would be very interesting to you I know; but you will have to put up with this little scrawl for the present. I am in hopes that I will get a whole package of letters from you in a few days. I never wanted to see you half as bad in all my life as I do now. I would give anything in the world to see you and the children. I have no idea when I will have that pleasure. We can’t get any news here - do not know what is going on in the outside world. The boys will all write as soon as they get a chance to send them off.
We will remain in this vicinity, I expect for some time to recruit our horses. Our horses are sadly worsted. We found plenty to eat and to feed our horses on in Mo but hardly even had time to feed or eat as we traveled almost insesantly night and day. We could get any amount of bacon of the very best kind at 10 cts and every thing else in proportion.
I must close for fear I do not get to send my letter off. Write offten I will get them some time. I will write every chance, do not be uneasy when you do not get letters, for when we are scouting around as we have been it is impossible to write or to send them off if we did write. Give my love to the old Lady and all the friends. My love and a thousand kisses to my own sweet Amanda and our little boys. How my heart yearns for thou that are so near and dear to me. Goodbye my own sweet wife, for the present. Direct to Little Rock as —-.
As ever your devoted and loving Husband, J.C. Morris.
Mrs. A.N. Morris.
- hapa-rae likes this
- never-quit-never-die reblogged this from smashingradios
- smashingradios reblogged this from historical-nonfiction
- randomloveofthings likes this
- parasomniasentimental likes this
- jackiattacki reblogged this from kcollins720
- jackiattacki likes this
- kcollins720 reblogged this from historical-nonfiction
- evilslytherinqueenlexi reblogged this from jake-gardiner
- cheesedirky likes this
- princesskathrynjones reblogged this from jake-gardiner
- princesskathrynjones likes this
- jake-gardiner reblogged this from badasscivilwarbeards
- benandbrew reblogged this from historical-nonfiction
- benandbrew likes this
- thehistorybuff-rachaelohalloran reblogged this from historical-nonfiction
- thehistorybuff-rachaelohalloran likes this
- creditskeeprolling likes this
- evibelle reblogged this from heliumtaxihometome
- connectedspirit likes this
- otp-is-best-served-gay likes this
- mortofeloquence likes this
- puppydogeyesandbutterflykisses reblogged this from vivalamerlin
- puppydogeyesandbutterflykisses likes this
- plumpllama reblogged this from vivalamerlin
- vivalamerlin reblogged this from heliumtaxihometome
- jmucellini likes this
- greybeard55 reblogged this from heliumtaxihometome
- greybeard55 likes this
- heliumtaxihometome reblogged this from deep-space-diver
- aotea7 likes this
- wretchedsilence likes this
- magdalena313 reblogged this from historical-nonfiction
- officialshosannadreyfus reblogged this from badasscivilwarbeards
- hesmyfavorite-nightmare likes this
- true-trichophilia likes this
- femmeviva likes this
- phobiasoftware likes this
- forcingtumbles reblogged this from historical-nonfiction
- himasbutt likes this
- teslaboy88 likes this
- gay-of-demonic-charm likes this
- cora06 likes this
- romek1809 likes this
- simply-berms reblogged this from historical-nonfiction
- arabxllax likes this
- cmimc likes this
- civilwardiscoverytrail reblogged this from historical-nonfiction
- gram0chroi likes this
- un-petit-mort reblogged this from officialshosannadreyfus